lördag 5 mars 2011

The Thing About Sailing Ships, pt. I

One of the cool things about my job is that it takes me to places I'd never have expected a couple of years ago. Next week I'll be haunting some godforsaken backwaters in Jutland and am looking forward to it, not only because I appreciate change, but also because I've planned my route so that I can visit the frigate Jylland. Strictly speaking, that ship is at least fifty years too young for me, but it is a wooden sailing ship, a warship, and I believe it's similar enough to wooden frigates of the early 19th century to be interesting.

Last year, Patrick O'Brians Aubrey/Maturin novels and C S Forester's Hornblower books sparked a deep and unexpected interest in sailing warships, particularly of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, in me. While reading the first part of O'Brian's series, I started looking all the naval terms up on Wikipedia, and it turned out that clicking around there was even more engrossing than the novel. The ingenuity of a sailing ship, the myriad details, the masses of ropes and little wooden objects, each handmade to fit exactly into its place and do what it's supposed to do, each one with its own name. Before that revelation, I'd never thought of a sail as very different from a bedsheet on a stick. Now I'm deeply in awe of the incredibly complicated, and yet perfectly optimized, system that is the rigging of a sailing ship. An immensely complex machine operated by muscle power and the forces of nature, how could that be anything but fascinating?

However, technology isn't the only reason for my interest in - whatever term I should use for the combination of naval fiction and naval history of the era around 1793-1815. "Age of Sail fandom" is mostly an umbrella term for O'Brian's and Forester's works with appendages (the Master & Commander and Hornblower movies, respectively) and doesn't necessarily cover historical fact, while "naval history 1793-1815" is quite a narrow definition that also makes it sound like I'm building dioramas where I reenact important naval actions and build models of HMS Victory in my spare time. Whatever; I'm also fascinated by life aboard ships, the unimaginable situation of being aboard a wooden vessel that's being shattered by cannon shot, the human aspect. I won't even start developing that theme here, but might write more about it some other time.

This interest in, let's just call it sailing ships for now, is actually quite comical. You see, I hate boats and all kinds of floating vessels. I'm afraid of water and even more of heights; one of the Hornblower TV movies ends with the main characters standing on what I think is the topgallant yard, and the mere thought of that makes my palms sweat. People like to hear and read about the things that frighten them the most, and I suppose that my interest is partly inspired by that impulse.

A couple of months ago, I was crossing the Sound from Elsinore to Helsingborg, a 20-minute trip on broad, heavy, perfectly safe car ferries where you have to look out a window to confirm that you're not on land anymore. During my childhood and teens, I went on those ferries a couple of times a year, but it had been almost fifteen years since the last time, and I was interested to see how I would feel about the journey now. It turned out that nothing had changed: as I stepped aboard, the old familiar conviction that the thing was going to sink welled over me for a moment. As soon as we were out of the harbour, I went out on deck to face my old fears and leaning against the railing, I thought of one of my earliest memories: being lifted up by one of my well-meaning parents so I could look over the side and panicking at the sight of the long drop and the green, frothy water at the end of it. It's not quite as scary when you're standing on your own feet, but deep down I still felt a stirring of that old fear. So, still a confirmed landlubber.

My excitement about visiting the Jylland is mostly about getting a feel for the physical space of a wooden frigate, what it's like standing on the gun deck, how long it takes to walk from the quarterdeck to the forecastle or from the orlop to the waist, being surrounded by ropes, touching and feeling the ship to get a better understanding of the novels I read. But there's also a curiosity as to my own reactions, how scary it will be to look up into the rigging and imagine being forced to go up into the top or to look over the side and imagine the ship heeling in a strong wind.

4 kommentarer:

  1. "An immensely complex machine operated by muscle power and the forces of nature, how could that be anything but fascinating?"

    I'm not particularly interested in the machines themselves, but I love how you put this.
    It boggles my mind to think of heading out on the open seas (or outer space) in these little machines. As an American, I am extra amazed that my ancestors came here on ships only 100-150 years ago.
    Would I be that brave?

    SvaraRadera
  2. I'm delighted to see you writing a blog again. (Ahem, and since LJ wouldn't allow me to comment here for some reason, I dusted up my old coursework Blogger to comment. A strategic change of name occurred, though. ;)

    You've become so fluent in sailing jargon! My brain is no longer very willing to store the terminology the same way as ten years ago, but the awe and fascination for tall ships and the work done by their crews remains - back then, I was interested in early 20th century merchant vessels in particular - the Grain Races and all that (Eric Newby's books are very much recommended for anyone interested in life aboard sailing ships). The Navy, I thought then, was a bore, and the ships dating to early 19th century were, in my opinion, very ugly and clumsy compared to the sleek 20th century ships. Now that I think of it, probably a huge part of their fascination to me was that they were the last of their kind and marked the end of an era - there's no nostalgia mixed in my current obsession with O'Brian and Forester.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Fresca: I suppose that those who went to America did so because their alternatives were even worse, but it *was* amazing bravery. I can't imagine lasting even a week aboard, I'd die from sheer unsuitability...

    Lt. W, I'm delighted to see you here! I'm not sure about my fluency, but the fact that I haven't read anything unrelated to naval warfare in over six months helps keeping the vocabulary fresh :)
    (Actually, not entirely true; this morning I finished A Study in Scarlet, because the reboot made me curious about the original, but tomorrow it's back to Lucky Jack & Co. again.)

    There were sailing merchant vessels that late? The Jylland was apparently obsolete when building was completed (1860) even though it was a kind of hybrid, fitted with a steam engine but with a wooden hull. But I suppose merchant ships relied more on being able to carry large volumes of goods, and coal would take up valuable storage space.

    There's no nostalgia in it for me, either - rather a feeling of being lucky to have been born in another time!

    SvaraRadera
  4. Blah, I just wrote you a long reply, but Blogger was an ass and swallowed it in preview and refused to spit it back... So let's do this again:

    I'm not sure when the last traditionally-rigged merchant vessels were built, but some Windjammers (the height of the evolution of full-rigged ships: typically steel-hulled, four-masted, partially mechanized and very very fast, 21 knots being the unofficial record) were built in the 1920s. Some were built even later than that, but maybe they weren't purely for cargo use. It's amazing, though, that some of these ships still operate out there, mostly as training ships.

    I noticed the Tall Ships' Race is coming to Halmstad next summer, so if you want to see some of these giants in action, I highly recommend the experience, having been to the event twice myself: http://www.tallshipsraceshalmstad.se/

    One of my favorite ships (which I've actually seen set sail and disappear into the horizon) will be there, too, the 1906 German barque Alexander von Humboldt. Google it, it's beautiful with its green sails.

    SvaraRadera